Traveling from Crete (Heraklion) to Mykonos by ferry
The ferry connection between Heraklion (Crete) and Mykonos is a seasonal route, but a very popular one. From mid-April to late October, you can expect multiple daily itineraries, most of them departing in the morning from Heraklion port, and returning in the afternoon. In the low season between October and March, this connection is covered rather infrequently by older, conventional ferries. As you can see below, the minimum fare range for an adult is €55-€100 for a standard ticket, and the trip duration varies from 4h45m (high-speed ferries) to ~8h (conventional ferry).
Ferry schedules from Crete (Heraklion) to Mykonos*
Heraklion to Mykonos trip duration
Heraklion is connected to Mykonos with many itineraries, during the summer season. The high-speed catamarans operating on this crossing during the summer season, perform the trip in less than 4.5 hours. Weather can play a role in trip duration though, as, in windy days the trip duration might be extended by a few hours for these vessels.
Crete (Heraklion) to Mykonos two or three-day trip
The ferry schedules facilitate a two or three-day excursion in Mykonos. The first ferry departs from Heraklion at 7:30 am and arrives in Mykonos at 13:30. On your way back, the latest ferry departs from Mykonos at 13:50 and returns back to Heraklion late in the afternoon. This allows travelers to organize short excursions without spending more nights than needed in Mykonos.
At which port of Mykonos do I arrive?
Mykonos has two ports, the "Old" and the "New" port, located approximately 1 kilometer from each other. However, the old one is currently reserved for smaller ferries, while all the rest (large conventional ferries and large catamarans) arrive at the new port.
Heraklion to Mykonos ferry schedules for 2019
The schedules for 2019 have been announced by the most of ferry companies that serve this line i.e. Golden Star Ferries and Seajets. However, we would expect Minoan Lines to also add a high-speed vessel on this line, that might lead to some changes in the available itineraries.
Book in advance ferry tickets from Heraklion to Mykonos
The most important thing if you really want to visit Mykonos is to be quick and find a ticket. As the ferries serving this route also pass by Santorini, they get really crowded during summer. We advise you to book your tickets at least three months prior to your trip as this is a very busy route during summer. Ferryhopper is here to help you find all the possible options; it is up to you to choose the perfect one and book it while there is still availability.
Out top travel tips for your trip from Heraklion to Mykonos:
- Both ports of Mykonos get really crowded during high season. Make sure to arrive there at least one hour prior to your scheduled departure.
- If you visit Mykonos only for a day or two, be sure to enjoy at least one night out. Mykonos is renowned for its nightlife.
- If you are visiting for more days and you do not want to spend a fortune on accommodations, you should definitely book a place to stay as early as possible; at least 4-5 months in advance.
- Heraklion is probably the most famous port of Crete, but there are also other ports that may be convenient for you, such as Rethymno and Chania.
- Island hopping around Mykonos is the best! Check our Ferry Map to discover the islands nearby.